Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Homage to Mercy

The slogan of my blog site is: “Writings of a fellow voyager in search of wisdom.” The first article, Blogsite Purpose, referred to “a desire to entrust the ambiguities of being to the God whom I believe fashioned the depths and intricacies of human life.” A large mouthful, that statement. It alludes to a lifetime of wrestling with what it means to be human. Most authors do not write in a vacuum, personal or otherwise, and the essays you read here are shaped out of my particular milieu. What has your “fellow voyager” experienced that drives her reflections? Perhaps a glimpse into my history will help you better understand my line of thought. More importantly, whatever differences exist between my life and yours, I hope that portions of what I share will strike a chord within you.

I have lived in the West “where the mountains touch the sky” and in the Southwest where the sky touches the sand. I’ve propelled skinny white legs down school halls filled with the lush brown skin of Native Americans. I have lived in the Bible Belt where fundamentalism cinched me up a little too tightly and in the Pacific Northwest where the rain completely suited my mood. I’ve spent summers with my parents pitching a tent across America. I have ridden my ATV in the deserts of Utah and maneuvered it along Colorado’s mountain cliffs.

I have huddled with Navajo buddies in Anasazi ruins unknown to archaeologists and passed working elephants sauntering along the roads of Thailand. I’ve body-surfed ocean waves of Bali and played a trumpet-harpsichord duet with a Catholic monk in Northern Sulawesi. I have knelt in awe before the gigantic mosaic of Christ in Paris’ Sacre Coeur Cathedral and eaten strawberry torte in a German Konditerei. I’ve slept in a thatched-roof Dutch cottage and craned my neck at the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. I have made love with my husband in a Swiss army barracks and sipped local wine in the Alpine village where my ancestors lived.

I have survived emotional, sexual, and spiritual abuse, narrowly escaped drowning, paraplegia, and suicide. I’ve spent years in psychotherapy, ultimately coming to accept chronic depression and the medication it requires. I’ve wished to belong then longed to jump off the grid. I have broken my dignity trying to fix broken loves. I’ve been abandoned by people and betrayed a few in turn. I have been bereaved of, estranged from, and reunited with family. I’ve been blessed with friends who teach me to laugh, hope, and dare.

I have feared men only to come to love one deeply. I’ve relinquished my girlish dreams to marry the man of my woman’s heart. I’ve learned that passion ebbs and flows, while committed affection endures. I have surrendered the possibility of bearing children and nurtured our two mothers in their old age.

I’ve been fiercely devoted to Christ and fiercely angry with him. I have believed Christianity was the best faith going and yet questioned its validity. I’ve loved the Church and been thoroughly irritated with her. I have endured hangovers from getting drunk on Pentecostal youth revivals and seminary theological debates. I’ve been bathed in healing that I can only attribute to the Holy Spirit.

I have dropped out of a missionary vocation, showed up too late for an academic career, and returned to writing, my first love. I’ve been addicted to religiosity, obsessed with being correct, and humbled by the earthy insight of a Desert Mother. I have tempered my conservative politics, embraced the sensuality of music, danced naked alone in a meadow, prayed in tongues, and wept during Holy Mass. I’ve been forced to confront my shortcomings and cajoled into acknowledging I might be a saint in the making. I have been sustained by a Divine Mercy beyond logic or comprehension. In spite of all, and because of all, it is good to be human, it is good to be alive.

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous3/04/2010

    Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3/04/2010

    A strange irony of life if the fact that in many ways we are strongest in our weaknesses. You have packed a lot in your relatively short life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3/04/2010

    You are one awesome writer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3/12/2010

    Yes, it is good to be human oh so human. Thank you! I do love reading what you write. It is so edifying.
    PAX
    Ignatius

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kat Cullis3/12/2010

    Wowie!! What a life of paradox! So fully lived, so fully human! I especially like the naked dance in the field....
    We are made to worship in oh so many ways.
    Live on dear friend...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3/13/2010

    Your post was very beautifully written, and deeply moving. I had no idea you had endured so much in your life. It is no wonder you are such a compassionate person.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3/13/2010

    It did strike a chord with me and it was a joyous one. I wanted to tear up but wanted to keep reading and I had goose bumps through the whole of it. You are amazing and express life and it's rewards and sorrows so beautifully. It sounds like you have reached a good place in your life and what you wrote was beautiful. I just wish I could express myself half that well. It truly came from your heart and soul.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous3/13/2010

    Whew...you shared a lot. Thanks for being willing to be so transparent. What a journey you have had, and here you are living and telling about it. How God indeed keeps us for himself! I recently picked my Orthodox prayer book and discovered a short little prayer that I had missed. "The Father is my hope. The Son is my refuge. The Holy Spirit is my protection. Holy Trinity, glory to You." Boy, is there a lot packed in there.

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous3/13/2010

    Thank you for this, Lynette. What a courageous act of sharing! It's almost like 'dancing naked' but this time not alone and not in a meadow.

    Miriam

    ReplyDelete