Sunday, November 07, 2010

BACK ON THE WAGON

Recently I fell off the wagon; or rather, my wagon hit several big potholes and bounced me out onto the trail. Talk about ruts. They remind me of a long-ago trip to Guernsey, Wyoming, to see a ridge on the North Platte River named The Wagon Ruts. So many pioneers traveling the Oregon Trail with their wagons and draft animals used the same sandstone track, they wore it down as much as five feet. (See video of ruts.)

If the trail deteriorated so badly, why did people keep using it? Because steep cliffs surround the river everywhere else. “The geography of the area dictated that practically every wagon that went west crossed the ridge in exactly the same place, with impressive results.” 

Over the years, in reaction to this and that event, my brain formed a geography that has seemed to dictate the direction of some of my thoughts. Often when I face a particularly challenging problem, or simply a perceived problem, down into anxiety’s grooves I fall. Cutting a new trail, a new attitude, on which to travel seems as unrealistic as hoisting a wagon and its ox team up a Platte River cliff.

I have been told it can be done, however. Enough desperation to want out of the mind’s potholes, good tools, and straightforward prayer can help pull the brain up to higher ground.

Long before self-help gurus touted positive thinking techniques, Desert Fathers worked on the thought life and passed along their tools. One such tool comes from St. Climacus. “Stand up against bad thoughts. [This situation] is exemplified by the one who said, “I will speak a word of contradiction to those who reproach me.” (The Ladder of Divine Ascent) Today we would call Climacus’ device to resist the gravity of self-defeating thoughts, “affirmations.”

After I fell off the wagon, I complained to my counselor, “I pray a lot during my times of stress, but I’m just as anxious as ever.” “Ah, but what kind of praying is it?” she asked with a sly grin. Red-faced, I realized what I was calling prayer was merely worrying out loud. The Saints have a way out of this rut, too.
They asked Abba Macarius (a Desert Father): How should we pray? The old man answered: A long speech is not necessary, but instead stretch out your hands and say, Lord, as you wish and as you know, have mercy. Yet if you feel a conflict is breaking out, you have to say, Lord, help! He knows what is good for us and treats us mercifully. (Desert Wisdom: Sayings from the Desert Fathers)
I have collected some affirmations and prayers from a few of these spiritual pioneers. Every couple of days, I write an affirmation and a prayer on a sticky note and repeat them to cut new trails of trust and peace. When I slip back into the old ruts, they are there to help lift me. Higher ground. New trail. Back on the wagon.

AFFIRMATIONS
Today,
  1. I am learning to be content
  2. I am farming good thoughts. 
  3. I walk before God in simplicity and not in speculation of the mind.
  4. The Father is my hope, the Son is my refuge, the Holy Spirit is my shelter. 
  5. To keep spiritual peace, I chase dejection away. 
  6. I am a miracle of God’s goodness, wisdom, and omnipotence.
  7. There is no moment when God’s mercy leaves me.
PRAYERS
Lord,
  1. I trust you. 
  2. Your will be done.
  3. I am grateful. 
  4. Send the vitality of your Spirit
  5. Shine in my heart the sparkle of your gifts.
  6. Expand and free my heart. 
  7. Grant me unshakable peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment